Colonel John C. Bryner Camp #67, Peoria, IL
John Bryner was born October 6, 1820 in Juniata County, PA. He first came to Peoria around 1846 and entered business. He was elected to the office of sheriff for two terms, the last being 1858 to 1860. He was also a member of the National Blues, a patriotic organization where he rose to Captain.
When the War of Rebellion broke out, he helped organize the 47 IL INF and was made Colonel. He became ill on the march to Corinth, MS and resigned his commission on Sept. 2, 1862. He returned to Peoria, helped form the 85th, 86th, 103rd, 108th, and 112th IL INF and was in charge of the camps at Peoria. He accepted the commission of 1st Leutenant and Quartemaster of the 139th IL INF and proceeded with them to Cairo, IL. His old regiment, the 47th, having returned in a much weakened state, implored him to petition the governor to reorganize the 47th. Bryner accepted the challenge, raising six companies. While training at Springfield, John was taken ill and died on March 19, 1865. His body was returned to Peoria.
His son, Byron Cloyd Bryner would take up when his father left off and at age 16, joined the 47th IL Reorganized INF on March 25, 1865. The Peoria post of the G.A.R. was named for John in his honor on October 8, 1879. His son Byron would eventually become commander of the post and write a book detailing Abraham Lincoln’s visits to Peoria and move to raise funds to build the G.A.R. Hall in Peoria in 1909.
The current Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War camp was formed in 2001 to honor the memory of Col Bryner and G.A.R. Post #67.
Greenhut Memorial GAR Hall
416 Hamilton Blvd.
Peoria, IL 61602
2nd Tuesday in January, March, May, July, September, and November